The Raspberry Pi foundation have just released a new version of Raspbian, and is available form their download page for NOOBS or an image of Raspbian full fat or lite. One of the many new features is the easy set up of a network connection without even switching on your Pi and this is how to do it. This method only works with the full fat version of Raspbian.
- Download an up to date image of Raspbian from the Raspberry Pi downloads page https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
- Copy the image to a new SD card, using your normal method. If you have not done this before follow the guide on the Raspberry Pi website https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/
- Once you have finished installing the image. you will need to create a file called “wpa_supplicant.conf” and paste the following code into the file.
remember to change “network name” and “password”.
Note: On Windows I use Notepad++. https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
The notepad app supplied with windows does not display Raspbain files correctly.
- save the adjustments you made.
- copy wpa_supplicant.conf to the boot partition on your SD card.
You are now ready to start using your new card, have fun.